July 9, 2011

Gallery Art

Way back in January, my awesome BiL (that's brother-in-law, if you didn't know) who is an artist in L.A. called and asked me if I wanted to exhibit some of my art in a group show featuring mixed-media, collage-type art. I said something to the effect of, "Uh, are you kidding me? Yeah (valley girl accent applied)" and spent the next several weeks making and/or finishing four pieces to send to La-La land.

It was a little difficult for me to package up my original works of art and send them away, not knowing if I would ever see them again. I'd never done anything like that before. In fact, my art, up to that point had been something I did for my pleasure, for my home, as gifts for family and friends...but never to put out there in the world and subject to criticism or praise at a stranger's whim. It felt a little like hanging myself up on a wall with a sign around  my neck that read: What do you think of me?

But still, I wanted to do it and send them I did. And it was sort of a breakthrough for me. I realized that maybe I did want to share more of my creations with the public at large. I started looking through my past works and pondering the idea of selling prints online. I called up my Big Sis (wife of the artist BiL) to talk it through. Because that's what Big Sis and I do.

"I think it sounds great." Said she. "Did you photograph the pieces you sent out to us? Or scan them?"

Me: "Ummmm, well, kind of."

"Kind of?"

"I sort of took a snapshot of them all laid out on my bed."

That's when Big Sis gently and patiently explained that I didn't know what I was doing. It was true.

I won't bore you with the details of all the research and learning I did over the next several months as I prepared to open my Etsy shop and actually ask people to trade their hard-earned dollars for my art. Suffice it to say that I now have my husband, who happens to be a rather brilliant landscape photographer, shooting high-resolution images of every piece I produce. And the BiL, also a photographer extrordinaire, was kind enough to photograph the pieces I sent so far away. (And which will finally be in a show this summer-- the first one got cancelled). I got the pics yesterday and it was like seeing a long-lost friend.

Oh, hello Wet Rabbits. No one likes your smell, but I like you.


How've you been Seven Blackbirds in a Bare Tree? Staying out of that cage?


Been to Grandma's house yet, Little Red? Of course not. You've stepped off the path.


And you, Darkling Thrush, my darling, how hopeful you still are.


It's good to have a little piece of them home again. Prints of each of these will be up for sale in my shop (see the link above) over the next week or so. Darkling Thrush is there now, but I've no more time to post the rest today. I'm working on something I'm very excited about but can't yet share...teehee teehee...I will tell you this: it's big. For me, it's life-changing big, in fact. Are you intrigued? Well then, I guess you'll have to keep coming back :)










No comments:

Post a Comment