July 1, 2011

Summer Getaway

Whenever I can, I visit this place:


Taffy Island. When the kids are playing in the yard and I'm sitting in the porch swing, or after I've read to them and tucked them in at night, they travel to the lands of their imagination and dreams and I travel to the land of mine. I get to go there much more often now that summer is here.

It's a place where a boy named Gideon and a girl named Ruby (who is Gideon's sister, but not really) visit their grandmother: the white-haired woman who lives alone (but didn't always) in the cottage surrounded by sea. It's a place where the three of them have been left by others, to not ask questions, to sit and wait, and a place where they decide not to.

But most of all, Taffy Island is a place I hope to share with the world someday in the form of a novel. Or two. Or three. And I hope the world will love it as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. I've loved reading it! I hope you get to go there lots!

    ReplyDelete