September 23, 2011

Junk! (and I mean that in the best possible way)


So a few weeks ago Sandi called me up and said she was going to have a booth at this junk show type thing at our local fairgrounds and would I like to help man (woman) the booth and maybe sell a few of my own handmade -vintage-pretties. I said sure! What's a junk show?



Oh, honey, I learned what a junk show is.

Hello, junk. You re-purposed, up-cycled, found beauties, you.




I guess I've always known and loved you...


...I'm a thrift-store scrounger, yard-sale hopper, dumpster-diver through and through...




...I just didn't know junk is what the kids are calling you these days, old friend.
And I didn't know you had your own parties. I would have been there much sooner if I'd known.

Here's a shot of the booth Sandi and I shared (please ignore my awkward stiffness- this was toward the end of the day and I was wearing down, but I swear, I had so much fun.)



Most of the colorful, beautiful, fabric goodness in this shot belongs to the fabulous Mrs. H, but see that chalkboard? and those hand-stenciled burlap pillows? the stick horses and that beautiful (if I do say so myself) vintage map mounted in the old window? Those are me. 

Oh, blogland. I would so do this again. I have never done a show at all before and this one was right up my alley. In the moments that I had for my own thoughts that day (which were few and far between as the turnout was very nice) I kept going over all the vintage wonder-lovelies I'd passed on in the last year or so because, although I could completely envision what I would do to make them beautiful and new again, I just kept asking myself, but then what? Where will I put them? I don't have the space. But now I know. I would save them from the landfill, save them from being forgotten, save them up for next year's junk show, and have  
unspeakable amounts of fun along the way with all that
JUNK.

xo

p.s. Thanks to Marianne Wiest, the official event photographer, for all these gorgeous shots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment