October 5, 2011

A Blustery Day

Yesterday was the first truly blustery day we've had this fall. As Laurelei and Riley and I were sitting down to breakfast, we suddenly all got very quiet...our ears perked up (as much as non-canine ears can) and two seconds later we were all running to the open window with a joyous shout of Rain!
The sparse, heavy raindrops fell from a pewter sky while swirling winds blew the top leaves off the trees and those on the lower branches considered turning early just to get down to safer ground. In other words, it was the perfect day to stay inside, don sweaters, and put up Halloween decorations (after, of course, a warm lunch of Chicken Soup with Rice).



Now, for the most part, my decorating tastes run along the lines of vintage eclectic... I also love things that are handmade and homemade and have a story. But when it comes to Halloween, 
I like me a little glitter.


A little glitzy glam.


A little over-the-top color...


and a little dollar-store-level kitsch. 



It is a glitzy- glam holiday after all.
  
The kiddos and I had so much fun sipping hot cocoa and hanging skeletons, making an October calendar and marking the days for the full moon, the Fall Festival we are going to, and, of course, All Hallow's E'en. The whole day felt to me like a kick-off  to my favorite time of year: October, November, December...three months of holidays, all with their own decorations and foods and traditions, culminating with Christmas, my favorite holiday of all.
Yup. I'm rarely sad to see a blustery day. And yesterday was a good one. Hope it was for you too, blustery or not.

xo



1 comment: